Saturday, 12 December 2009

Age of Stupid

Anyone who knows me personally or has ever met me has probably heard this before. I often - daily, I would say - stop and laugh to myself. I laugh at the world and think, "This is just one big practical joke, right? People can't REALLY be this stupid!" Then I remember - it's not. Politics, consumerism, environmental neglect, stupid wars, animal abuse, human rights issues, Hummers, McDonalds, swine flu, poverty, fascism, racism, anti semitism... it's all actually happening. And I wonder how people can be so blind. How can they go through life not caring one bit about what harm they are causing to their surroundings?

I have a theory by which every self loving person has the intuition to do good to others. Why wouldn't you? It seems logical to want to share that feeling of love and satisfaction with the rest of the world. Alas, it also seems that in our world people are much too busy setting and achieving goals, making money and spending it. There is no time to sit down with yourself to think about what really, essentially makes you feel good. As a result we are left with a feeling of emptiness and anxiety, the cause of which we don't understand, because we can't admit it to ourselves. And as a cure, of course, we only indulge in more work, consumption and headless running about.

I don't want to criticize you - most normal people go about their daily lives consuming, wasting and working without even realizing the harm they are doing to themselves, their fellow Earthlings and to our planet. We are all, from birth, pulled into the cycle of mindless consumption. It is assumed that we should educate ourselves, get a well paying job, get a promotion, buy lots of nice things and pass on this message to our children. Pulling youself out of this easy cycle is a tough thing to do. And anyone who does manage to escape these norms is considered a wee bit mental and naive for starters.

Like Sir Peter Scott once said "I've always believed the greater danger is not aiming too high, but too low, setting for a bogey rather than shooting for an eagle." So with these words let us not surrender before we ever began, but try to change our own lives, even in small ways, to make this world better for everyone and everything, now and tomorrow. Here is why:

















1 comment:

  1. When people ask me what I would wish for if I could have any wish granted, I find it is never a material possession. I usually want to be happy and I really want everyone around me to be happy too. Money comes and goes, but feelings last longer and stay with you. And happiness is one of the strongest of those feelings.

    Brilliant post!

    ReplyDelete